6/12/17

One

I just completed a year in the USA.
Whew.
How time flies when there's no time to stop or take a break from work and weekend/holiday adventures.
Life is not what I expected to be in USA. I live in a suburb and for someone who comes from chaotic cities, this has been the worst aspect of this one year. There are no people to meet, to greet, no shops close by, no cafes, no pubs nothing. Grocery is a (an approximately)weekly pompous affair. If not for the fact that I am just zoned inside the laptop, life would have been difficult. I read less this year too, for reasons I cannot fathom. I have had time, but mostly dedicated to shaping my music which, hasn't headed any fruitful direction whatsoever too.

I think back in India, people have a different idea about the USA for which the main reason is media. USA seemed like that country where you are free to do whatever you want, have fun all the time, rock n roll and coast through your life. It's strangely the opposite here, people don't seem to get along unless they are friends, everyone keeps to themselves, and of course, right now is not the best of times for Indian people and other immigrants, there is a lot of crime, American fast food isn't really the best.

But vacations and weekend trips made it worth the while. A lot of adventures and destinations have been taken care of which always had been part of the traveling dreams. The Big Apple trip is coming up next month and I am really excited about that now. I went tubing, white water rafting, surfing and the biggest of them all, skydiving. The adrenaline was on another level. I am going to do it again. I have been to most of the bigger cities and places on the East Coast now. The West Coast is entirely left now. Chicago has been the most beautiful city I have traveled to yet. USA has wonderful scenery and beautiful landscapes. I have been fortunate enough not to have faced issues at airports and flight schedules yet.

Since landing here, I have also done a lot of concerts- Guns n Roses, Coldplay, Dave Matthews Band, A Perfect Circle, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Radiohead, Dream Theater, Regina Spektor, Alterbridge with Metallica(finally!), John Mayer, Gary Clark Jr, Roger Waters still on the cards. The Radiohead concert has changed my life and the way I look at music. Alterbridge was the best concert  I have watched in my life. I missed the Iron Maiden concert recently though due to work. :(

I have not made any American friends in one year, beat that. There are so many Indians here and the world I have here consist mostly of them only. I really don't feel like I am in USA sometimes. But it's been a fun ride with these new people. I have had all the adventures with them which made it way better.

If the visa is not extended , I have just about a year to make the most out of this USA phase. Signing off.


No comments:

Scared and Safe

 It seems like I go through these sine waves of anxiety and determination. I ride out the waves differently of course. It seems like the anx...